Sunday, February 26, 2012

11 Months

At 11 months, here is what Blair is up to...

Eating - this is still hit or miss. She is almost completely off baby food (I use some every once in a while to sneak in some vegetables). She is still not a fan of "wet" or "slimy" food like cooked veggies, fruits or rice. Right now, Blair does like almond butter and jelly sandwiches, toast, sweet potato biscuits, graham crackers, sweet breads (like hawaiian bread, cake, & cinnamon rolls) and ham and cheese sandwiches. Sometimes I do her sandwiches in wheat bread, and other times in tortillas to vary it up. She seems to enjoy Nutrigrain bars - but does not like the "Gerber Graduates" or kid versions of the cereal bars. And she is really not a fan of the strawberry banana flavor (with anything). We have recently begun giving her Cheerios (I figured it was time to retire the Puffs since it was time to move on to harder things) and she really likes the Multi-grain variety. I find that she does better when Travis or I are feeding it to her and taking bites as well. Her willingness to try new foods is getting better (hmmm, maybe mom does know what she is doing!) and so is her palette. Baby steps, but we are getting there. I am one determined momma. I will buy, make, steal (haha) anything I think she might like.

We have begun transitioning Blair to only have a bottle at night, but she can have a sippy cup throughout the day (filled with formula). I rarely give her juice - unless she won't drink anything else. She is doing well with the sippy cups, so I'm very happy. This is huge for me since with bottles, I have to label each one for school & have to send three a day. With her cup, I send one for the day and a bottle of formula so it can be refilled as needed. We have already packed away most of the bottles. I don't know if I am more sad, or more relieved. Jury is out.

Since this most recent ear infection, we decided that the soy milk wasn't helping (debunking my theory on her having a milk allergy), but since she is now on antibiotics, we are just going to keep her on the soy since it is gentler on her tummy. In another month, we will be off formula completely! Hellllllooooooooo money! Haha, sounds bad - but those bottles of formula are $6 a piece and she goes through about one a day or day and a half!

Sleeping - Ha. Don't get me wrong, that busy bug sleeps, but still not through the night. She gets up about twice a night, and more if she is not feeling well. It seems like every time Travis and I put our foot down about letting her cry it out, she gets sick. I refuse to even entertain the idea of letting her cry it out while she is sick. Hopefully when she gets tubes in her ears, she won't get any more ear infections and we'll have better luck sleeping through the night. We have tried to change Blair's bed time, to make it later in the evening. No luck. She still goes to bed around 6:15pm, gets up around 9 or 10, goes back down with a bottle (4 oz) and is up again around 2am. On good mornings, she sleeps until I can wake her up around 6:15am to get ready for school.

In the last week or so, we have noticed that she is much preferring an hour and a half nap in the middle of the day, in lieu of the late morning and early afternoon nap. As long as she gets some kind of decent nap, she stays a happy girl. There are two ways we know she is tired, 1) the rubbing of the eyes, and 2) throwing her head back. Have I mentioned her fits? Oh yes, fits. The other day she threw one that was so funny, T and I broke the cardinal rule of not reacting to tantrums. We were unable to stifle the giggles. It was too good. I want to start keeping a log of all of the epic tantrums. One day I want to look back on it all and laugh.

School - Blair has continued to do well at school. All of the staff know and love Blair. They say she is the center's happiest baby (I am guessing she doesn't throw her drama queen fits for them) and is having a blast in her class with Ms. Donna and all of the walkers. Recently, they did developmental evaluations for the kiddos. Blair did great on everything and was even being evaluated in the 12-18 month group since she had begun a lot of the milestones.

Blair amazes me constantly at what a great kid she is. Even when she is sick, she's amazing. She is so loving and sweet. That picture of she and I (on my birthday at George and Roslyn's where her head is laying on my chest) is the epitome of how I think of her... sweet. Blair shines her brightest in the mornings, which still baffles me. I need a few minutes to be charming, but not Blair. She is all smiles and sweetness from the minute she opens her eyes.

Recently, Blair has learned the fun of peek-a-boo, but in reverse. She loves to cover her head or face with a blanket and reveal herself after we ask where she went. She thinks it is hysterical.

Her walking is getting better, though every once in a while we meet a door frame (today) or leg of a chair. This usually leads to a minute of tears, then a lovely bump or bruise on her head. :( Lately, she has really picked up speed and can "run" after me / Raleigh / Trav. We have begun putting shoes on her every once in a while so she can get used to it. If she tries to walk with the shoes on, she acts like they are cement blocks. We recently used the gift card Uncle Chris got for Bug, and got a really cute of pink, glittery shoes from Stride Rite. They are precious and designed for early walkers.

Blair likes to read and be read to, bang toys together to make noise, play in her ball pit, go "bye-bye," chase Raleigh and Kingsley up and down the hall, carry her purse around and go on walks and be outside. It is so nice to have had a mild winter so that Blair could spend time outside! She still enjoys bath time and has this musical octopus that attaches to the side of the tub & it plays music and blows bubbles - that she loves! She spends about 95% of bath time holding onto the side of it with her left hand. I don't know if she does it for stability, or because she likes it. Maybe both. We have quite the little bath time / bedtime routine. She is used to her schedule, that is for sure. Recently, I have begun putting her in her crib before she is asleep and she seems to like it. I think it is because she is so long, it's not as comfortable being rocked to sleep in the glider. I guess it's time. I just enjoyed getting to spend that time with her.

Blair's silly personality brightens my day. I love it when she does something silly and random. Today Travis said that she picked up this penguin toy (that rocks back and forth) and put it in her ball pit with her. How funny! (See the picture in the previous post.)

It's so hard to believe that my little girl is almost one. This past year has blown by, but it has been the BEST year of my life. It has been the most intense, wonderful, scary, love-filled, fulfilling, exhilarating year. I am so grateful for this amazing year we have had with Blair. My love for her grows with each day and I feel like the luckiest Momma in the world.

Happy 11th Month Birthday Blair Melisse! ♥

No comments: