Thursday, February 17, 2011

Core Beliefs at 29

Every morning on my way into work, I listen to the radio. Generally, I leave it on 94.5 – which is an ‘alternative’ station. Despite it’s open forum of discussions and topics on any given day, there is a segment that is done, every morning around 7:45am. It’s usually a 60 second spot called “Lessons from Life” from Jim Jackson, one of the pastors at Chapelwood United Methodist church.

The other day, Pastor Jackson asked what your core beliefs were. He said to grab a piece of paper and a pencil and write “I believe” 25 times, leaving space to finish the thought. He said then to take an hour to write down the things you believe in. Once finished, order them from 1-25 based on importance and there you would find your core beliefs.

I found this to be a fascinating idea and in honor of my birthday, I decided to see what my core beliefs were after 29 years of experiencing life and love. I am sure with each passing year and as major milestones and experiences come into our lives, that these will change in importance and may even fall of your list to make room for others. It's a fun exercise that allows you to reflect on the important things in your life. I have put both mine and Travis' below.

Ashley...

I believe that God will never give you more than you can handle.
I believe in the importance of being a great wife and mother.
I believe in appreciating the small things in life.
I believe in being grateful.
I believe that God has created one perfect person for you… the only question remains is whether you have found them yet. Once you find them, you should hold onto them forever.
I believe in the power of prayer.
I believe in doing what is right, even when it is not the easiest.
I believe that life is what you make of it.
I believe in doing your best.
I believe in compromise and communication.
I believe in helping others less fortunate than you – one day you may need the favor returned.
I believe in laughing out loud, uninhibited.
I believe that a day spent snuggling with the one(s) you love most, is a day well spent.
I believe that everything in moderation keeps you sane.
I believe that a strong family, love, and support are pillars for a growing child.
I believe in saying “I love you” as many times as you think it. You can never tire of hearing those three words if they are truly meant and felt.
I believe that some people walk in and out of your life, while others become lifelong friends.
I believe in loyalty, kindness and humility.
I believe that life mistakes make you the person you are today.
I believe that “keeping up with the Jones’” will only make you miserable and feel unfulfilled.
I believe if you follow your heart, it will never lead you astray.
I believe in cooking too much food, rather than not enough.
I believe that age is only a number; that what matters is how you feel in your heart.
I believe in holding hands.
I believe in surrounding yourself with good friends, good family and good food.

Travis...

I believe in God and His Son Jesus Christ.
I believe in love.
I believe that my wife is my best friend.
I believe that you have to have a positive attitude to get the best out of life.
I believe that rock and roll will never die.
I believe that my conservative beliefs are founded in logic.
I believe God is always with me in good times and in bad.
I believe children should be taught manners, respect, accountability and love.
I believe it is good to get weird once in a while.
I believe music sounds better on vinyl.
I believe the best way to get far in life is to work as hard as you can.
I believe borders, language and culture define a society.
I believe in order to be a good person, you have to want it and work at it.
I believe that there is no such thing as relative normality.
I believe that people should be accountable for their actions.
I believe that a little empathy goes a long way.
I believe that radical Islam is the biggest threat to freedom in the world today.
I believe most people rely too heavily on preconceived notions instead of seeking the truth.
I believe that life (or at least the “human experience”) is defined by love.
I believe that football is the best sport, ever.
I believe that Radiohead’s music is art of the highest echelon.
I believe people should be proud of exactly who they are.
I believe in the right to keep and bear arms.
I believe in laughing loudly at anything that you think is funny.
I believe there is no point in getting nervous for anything; everything turns out the way it always would have.

What are your core beliefs?

No comments: