Saturday, May 5, 2012

They say she has me trained...

And they are totally right. "They" would refer to my daughter's day care administrators and new sweet teachers. The other day, while I was picking her up from school (more on that later), I had a minute to talk to Ms. Kelly and Ms. Ricki (will refer to as "KR" for the sake of ease). I asked KR how they were able to get Blair to lay on the mat and nap - like if they weren't rocking her, how were they doing it? Patting her back? Lightly brushing her hair? Reciting lullabies in french? They looked at each other like "What?" then one said "She goes to her mat after lunch, lays down and goes to sleep." Now my turn, "What?" My daughter? I then asked KR how her tantrums were treated (me trying to gain tips on how to do this whole discipline thing with a one year old). Never thrown a tantrum and had no idea what I was talking about. "She is one of the sweetest, easiest babies." Ah. Lovely. Well I am thrilled that my little lady girl behaves during that day. Now if she would take it a little easier on her Momma and Daddy!
After my conversation with KR, we walked up towards the front of the school to leave. All of the directors we asking about Blair and I told them about my conversation with KR. In disbelief of the whole "she just goes to sleep at nap time" story, I told them, "I still have to rock her to sleep every night!" Now, in my defense (and I am sticking to it), I get very little time with my Bug during the week, so our rocking time is kind of our time to spend together. However, lately I have been trying to get her used to putting herself down and she is not having it. That's when they laughed and said I was "trained." I know I am. Blair just knows me too well and knows exactly how to get me. While we are rocking at bedtime, she will try at every chance she can get to sit up and "ask" me something in babble with these big, Precious Moments baby eyes and this cute little button nose. She looks like this little doll and is so darn cute. How can I let that baby cry in a crib?
So I guess I have brought this all on myself. Well the good news is she is sleeping through the night (for the most part), and that's a huge 'win.' If I am still rocking her when she is 26, you have permission to stop me.
Now, on to why I was picking her up from school. Well, as you might now know, Blair got the Hand, Foot and Mouth virus from school. After staying home with her for a few days (while she had the contagious rash), I thought we were past it. Last weekend, we were excited to just hang out and play. Unfortunately, I was sick all weekend. It started with sciatica pain, then led to terrible body aches and joint pain. By Sunday the worst of the pain was over and my throat started hurting. It was about this time that I realized I now had the virus. Sure enough, Monday morning - the rash came. It started on my hands and feet. With a lot of my co-workers having little children, I knew I couldn't risk them also getting this (disgusting) virus. So worked from home on Monday and Tuesday (which allowed me to pick up Blair from school).
Then on Tuesday night, Blair woke up with a high fever (103 degrees) and she threw up everywhere. We were both covered in it. After Trav helped us clean up, I slept on Blair's floor to make sure she was ok. The next morning, I called into work (again) and took her to see Dr. Kavin. After a quick finger prick to check her white blood cells, it was determined that Bug just had a virus (thankfully not the HFM again). Lucky girl got to spend all day Thursday with Auntie Loren (THANK YOU AUNTIE LOREN!!!!)! They had a great time playing and got some good cuddle time together.
Friday (yesterday), Bug went back to school. Now that I am better, T is better (he had a touch of the HFM without the rash), and Blair s on the mend - we are keeping it low key this weekend! It has been a LONG couple of weeks!

No comments: