Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A difficult decision


“The time has come,” the Walrus said.

A couple of months ago, I mentioned that a “family issue” was occupying much of time / thoughts. In two weeks, my Dad will be hopping on a flight to head to the Middle East. He has accepted a job working another oil company (different from the one he works for now). My mother will be allowed to join him shortly after Christmas. I don't know exactly how long they will be living overseas - but suffice it to say, the better part of a decade (which is 'years' too long!).
 As you may (or may not) know, I am very close to my family and this has come somewhat out of the blue. Even after having some time to really process and think about it all, it is still shocking. It is weird to think that my parents won’t be 5 mins away – and won’t be around for holidays and special occasions. I will see them only once, maybe twice a year, instead of on a regular / weekly basis.
I know that this was a really difficult decision for my parents – and I know that they didn’t make this decision lightly… but it has been made and it is happening.
I am sad that they will miss getting to watch Blair grow-up in person. I am sad that I won’t get to do my lunch dates with my Dad – or be able to call my Mom on my way home from work (like I still do every day!). I am terribly close to both of them and will miss them more than I could ever write on this blog.
This does mean that I will have to be more diligent on blogging, so they can check- in and know what is going on with Miss B. It’s funny, when I originally started this blog; it was for family and friends that lived out of town. I never imagined that it would be a tool used to keep my parents and I in touch.
I am so grateful for this opportunity for them and the new adventure they will soon embark on. Once again… life as Expats. After being back “State-side” for the last 17 – 18 years, I think they will fall right into place. Plus, they’ll always be close for when we want to do some serious traveling. Hmmm, I don’t know – maybe a trip back to Muscat? I guess we’ll have to wait and see!


No comments: